Moorcroft School was inspected in May 2019. Ofsted judged the school as Outstanding.
The key findings of the report state that;
- Exceptional leadership has established a culture of high expectations for this successful school. Leaders and staff strive to support pupils’ needs so that they can develop their independence and become active members of the community.
- Governance supports and challenges leaders to ensure that standards in all areas of the school remain high.
- Leaders, including trustees and members of the local advisory body, put a strong focus on supporting staff to develop their practice. Pupils benefit from excellent teaching, support and care from staff. A strong team spirit exists in the school.
- Leaders have ensured that curriculum pathways are accurately matched to support pupils’ needs exceptionally well. The curriculum provides excellent opportunities for pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development.
- Leaders are successful in their aim to nurture pupils’ personal development and welfare, and do so to great effect. This enhances pupils’ confidence and positive attitudes to learning.
- The sixth-form provision is outstanding. Individualised study programmes enable students to make excellent progress in developing their personal attributes, independence and employability skills. This prepares students exceptionally well for their transition to life beyond school.
- The quality of teaching and assessment is outstanding. A collaborative approach by teachers and therapists ensures that pupils engage in high-quality learning.
- Leaders have ensured that pupils’ outcomes are rigorously reviewed by all staff. This helps pupils to make consistently strong progress socially and across the curriculum, including in English, mathematics and science.
- Parents and carers strongly support the school. Regular newsletters and workshops have proved very useful in helping parents support their children’s learning. Plans are underway for the school to maintain these strong links with parents, through regular parental meetings.
- Effective teaching enables pupils to make gains in their English skills. However, some pupils with the appropriate ability receive limited opportunities to develop strong writing skills.
Government performance tables are available here